Access Denied Error Upon Editing Web Part

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:34 PM

We were successful at install the webpart and placing it on a page, however, whenever we try to edit the webpart we get an access denied error.
I know that this isn't a lot of details but I'm not positive what else I can give that would be helpful.  If anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Hi,

did you ever found the solution for this? I get this if a user with read or contribute rights wants to personalize this web part.

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Just found out that only site administrators can edit this web part. Even a user with Full Control can not edit it - they get Access denied error.

Help?

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Edited Mar 22, 2012 at 8:25 AM

This is unusual, that might be related to the permissions that are set on the list/calendar you are using for your webpart. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Edited Mar 22, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Hi,

The calendar inherits permission from the site, so if a user has Contribute or Full Control, he or she has the same permissions on the calendar.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Hi,

I did a little bit of research and came accross this article. So it seems that it has to do something with the fact that the web part tries to get all the subsites and the problem accours when the user doesn't have permission to every single subsite. Could this be it?

Sandra

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Edited Mar 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM

That's a bit hard to tell, since it all depends on the sharepoint environment they have there, and with the customized permissions you could get to really complex scenarios. I would suggest attaching the debugger to your sharepoint server and browse the site with the kind of user that gets the access denied on that page. Of course, this should be done in a development environment.

Update: I looked closer to the article you posted, it seems though related, I will check it soon.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

In our developmnent environment I created only one site collection with only top site. I set permission to be the same on every list (no unique permissions) and the results was the same. My problem is that our SharePoint goes live in one week and I need to put a calendar on the first page. Our users will have the option to edit their personal view so I can't put this web part because users won't be able to change the list for the calendar. Do you have a version for this calendar where the list and all other properties are fixed in the code?

Sandra